Tooth Colored Fillings - Lynnfield MA Dentists
Fillings are a simple fix for cavities and other minor tooth problems, and comprise a major part of routine dental restoration. Although there are many different types of dental fillings, the most popular fillings used are tooth-colored fillings that match the natural enamel and are all but invisible.
Why the Need for Tooth Fillings?
Fillings are a very common dental procedure, used to solve the most typical tooth problems:
- Tooth decay or cavities
- Enamel loss due to damaged surfaces of the teeth
- Tooth fractures or cracks
- Tooth pain and sensitivity related to any of the above concerns
The Tooth Filling Process
Before putting in a dental filling, Dr. Krothapalli use a drill or laser to remove decay and prepare the tooth to be filled. The tooth is thoroughly cleaned to remove bacteria or dirt and prevent decay from recurring. Next, the dentists prepare the tooth with a bonding agent or adhesive and apply the filling to the tooth. The filling is then hardened with a special bonding light, ensuring worry-free durability.
The Advantage of Tooth-Colored Fillings
There are several options in filling materials, from silver amalgam to ceramic to durable cast gold, but by far the most popular types today are the natural-looking choices:
- Composite resin: These white fillings are a versatile and virtually invisible way to repair cavities, as well as chipped, cracked, broken or worn teeth.
- Ceramic: Stain-resistant, porcelain fillings are very durable, often lasting over 15 years, but are more expensive than most other types of fillings.
Either of these options provides white fillings that blend in with your natural teeth to be virtually undetectable.
How White Dental Fillings Are Used
Unlike the old mercury fillings, which could only be used to fill cavities or cracks, tooth-colored fillings are strong and versatile enough to be used as dental onlays. They can even be used for front teeth that may need some improvement but aren’t in bad enough shape to require crowns. White fillings can be counted on to provide durable, reliable repairs for several years.
Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
- Appearance: Tooth-colored fillings precisely match the color of your teeth, so no one can tell that you have them.
- Hygiene: Filling the hole left behind by cleaned cavities is a simple and practical way to remove superficial tooth decay and prevent it from recurring.
- Durability: Our white ceramic and composite resin fillings are engineered to last for years to come.
- Health: Concerns about the long-term health impact of silver amalgam fillings have prompted many of our patients to ask for metal-free fillings. Tooth-colored fillings are a popular and healthy choice for your teeth.
Call us today at 781-592-1650 for more information or to book an appointment with Dr. Krothapalli to discuss how fillings can improve the health of your teeth. We proudly provide general, restorative, and cosmetic dental care to individuals, couples, and families in Lynnfield, Lynn, Peabody, Saugus, Wakefield, Reading, North Reading and nearby cities.